Kid Friendly Project #1 – Build a Birdhouse
By Tim Bogert
Whether you choose a simple design like this one or create an elaborate avian mansion a birdhouse is a great way for young minds to learn new skills and take an active interest in nature.
- Head to your local home center for supplies.
- Draw the design (on page 2) onto the wood and cut the panels out. Dry-fit the pieces together to ensure a tight fit.
- Use a 1-1/2” hole saw to make the entrance.
- Drill 2-3 ventilation holes (3/8” diameter) roughly 3/8” from the top edge of the side walls and 1 ventilation hole
(3/8” diameter) 3/8“ from the peak of the front and back walls.
- Pre-drill 3/16” pilot holes to keep screws aligned correctly when fastening the parts.
- Sand all your surfaces smooth to ensure good fit and good paint adhesion.
- Paint your parts on all outside surfaces. (For the birds’ safety, don’t paint the inside surfaces of the birdhouse.)
- Glue the panels together with water-based glue to keep things extra secure then screw the pieces together.
- (Don’t glue the bottom panel so it can be unscrewed for easy clean-out after the birds move out.)
- Choose a shady location – away from predators like cats and snakes – for the house so you can observe the birds as they
establish their nest and as their chicks start to emerge. Birds prefer stable houses so use a fencepost tree or other
structure as a mounting point. (Mounting hardware and method will vary depending on the structure.)
Once you’re finished building you can sit back and watch your new birdhouse attract and host new birds all summer long.
Some interesting things to track include what species of bird takes up residence what they use as nesting materials and how many chicks they have. You and your kids will enjoy watching the birds’ activity as much as you did building the house and will have a new shared conversation all season long.
- (1) 1” x 8” x 48” hardwood board
- (16) #10 x 2” corrosion-resistant flat-head wood or deck screws
- (1) Bottle of water-based wood glue
- (1) Quart of Low-VOC paint or polyurethane and painting tools
- Mounting hardware
- Pegasus Folding Work Table (WX051)
- BladeRunner Portable Table Top Saw (WX572L)
- 20V Power Share Switchdriver 2-in-1 Cordless Drill & Driver (WX176L)
- 20V Power Share Sandeck 5-in-1 Multi-Sander (WX820L)
- 20V Power Share Cordless Jigsaw (WX543L)
- 1-1/2” Hole saw drill bit
- 3/16” drill bit
- 1/2” drill bit
- 45° Angle or Protractor
- Tape Measure
- Safety Glasses