Kid Friendly Project #2 – Start a Garden
By Tim Bogert
From windowsill herbs to raised-bed vegetables gardens are easy to start fun to make and give back with nutritious snacks throughout the summer. If this is your first garden project we recommend starting small. Although you can start with pots or pre-made containers, planter boxes are easy to build and give you better control over size and shape.
- Decide what sound you want. From bamboo to steel to copper different materials produce a variety of sounds. (As a general
- Choose what you want to plant and where your garden needs to be placed for optimum light exposure.
- Head to your local home center for supplies.
- Draw the design (on page 2) onto the wood and cut the panels out. Dry-fit the pieces together to ensure a tight fit.
- Sand all your surfaces smooth to ensure good fit (and good paint adhesion if applicable).
- Pre-drill 3/16” pilot holes to keep screws aligned correctly when fastening the parts.
- Use water-based glue to keep things extra secure then screw the pieces of your planter box together
- Drill 1/2” drainage holes in the bottom of the box to prevent plants from becoming saturated.
- Paint the inside surfaces with rubberized paint (or use plastic sheeting with a larger garden) for water retention and to help keep your box from rotting.
- Paint stain or seal the exterior surfaces of the box for the look you want and to protect the wood as needed.
- Fill your planter with soil or other potting material as needed for what you’re growing.
- Plant your seeds bulbs or live plants as directed by their packaging.
- (1) 1” x 6” x 8’ hardwood board
- (12) #10 x 2” corrosion-resistant flat-head wood or deck screws
- (1) Bottle of water-based wood glue
- (1) Quart of Low-VOC paint or polyurethane and painting tools
- (1) Small roll of black sheet plastic or small can of rubberized paint
- Variety of herb vegetable or flower seeds bulbs or plants
- Pegasus Folding Work Table (WX051)
- 20V Power Share Switchdriver 2-in-1 Cordless Drill & Driver (WX176L)
- 20V Power Share Sandeck 5-in-1 Multi-Sander (WX820L)
- 20V Power Share ExacTrack 6-1/2” Circular Saw (WX530L)
- 3/16” drill bit
- 1/2” drill bit
- Tape measure
- Safety Glasses